Major agricultural group Tereos has finalised a deal to buy Brazilian sugar and ethanol producer Guarani SA. France based Tereos already owns 54.03% of Guarani’s share capital and with the new deal – worth USD-202-million (EUR 193.3m) – Tereos will acquire the remaining 45.97% interest from Petrobras’ subsidiary – Petroleo Brasileiro SA. This will make Tereos the sole owner of Guarani.
Guarani owns and operates seven sugar and ethanol production facilities and two refineries in Brazil’s Sao Paulo. In 2016-17 crop, the company produced approximately 1.6 million tonnes of sugar from nearly 20 million tonnes of sugarcane. It is more than 630 million litres of ethanol and feed over 1 GWh of power into the grid.
Brazil is the world’s top producer and exporter of sugar, with a market share close to 50% of global exports. On the other hand, Tereos is the third largest sugar producer in Brazil, through its subsidiary Guarani. In a sugar market experiencing constant growth in emerging countries, this position is a key strategic asset for Tereos.
Once the clearance by the local authorities is received for the acquisition, Guarani will be renamed Tereos Açúcar e Energia Brasil.
More about starch and sugar markets in Brazil will be discussed at StarchWorld Americas on 13-14 June, 2017 in Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil.
For more information, companies outside Latin, Central & South America may contact Ms. Huiyan at 65-6346 9113 | email@example.com while those in Mexico can contact Ms. Tanya at 52-55 52941423 or 52-155 3655 0760 | firstname.lastname@example.org and those in Brazil should call Ms. Michelle at 55 41 9957 3530.